Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Wicked by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Wicked (A Wicked Saga, #1)
Wicked by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Published on 8th December 2014
300 pages
Genres: new adult, romance, fantasy, paranormal
Source: iBooks
Add to Goodreads
Things are about to get Wicked in New Orleans.
Twenty-two year old Ivy Morgan isn’t your average college student. She, and others like her, know humans aren’t the only thing trolling the French Quarter for fun… and for food. Her duty to the Order is her life. After all, four years ago, she lost everything at the hands of the creatures she’d sworn to hunt, tearing her world and her heart apart.
Ren Owens is the last person Ivy expected to enter her rigidly controlled life. He’s six feet and three inches of temptation and swoon-inducing charm. With forest-green eyes and a smile that’s surely left a stream of broken hearts in its wake, he has an uncanny, almost unnatural ability to make her yearn for everything he has to offer. But letting him in is as dangerous as hunting the cold-blooded killers stalking the streets. Losing the boy she loved once before had nearly destroyed her, but the sparking tension that grows between them becomes impossible for Ivy to deny. Deep down, she wants… she needs more than what her duty demands of her, what her past has shaped for her.
But as Ivy grows closer to Ren, she realizes she’s not the only one carrying secrets that could shatter the frail bond between them. There’s something he’s not telling her, and one thing is for certain. She’s no longer sure what is more dangerous to her—the ancient beings threatening to take over the town or the man demanding to lay claim to her heart and her soul.

No. NO. NOOO!!!!!!! YOU CAN'T DO THIS TO ME!!!!! YOU CAN'T JUST STOP THERE!!!! *SLAMS FISTS AGAINST DOOR* SO UNFAIRRR. I CAN'T WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR FOR A SEQUEL *SLIDES DOWN DOOR*.....THIS IS TORTUREEEEEE.



Ivy was amazing, as expected. And I will forever think of her was a life-sized Merida (thank you Ren). She's kickass, totally reckless, and understandably closed off (although Ren knocks her walls down with a pickaxe....figuratively speaking, of course).

Ren. Oh Renald. *wink* He was gorgous. And hot. And sweet. And protective. And swoonworthy. And just downright wicked. I loved everything about him, and even though his attraction to Ivy seemed a bit insta-something, I couldn't care less because he's just perfect.

Tink.....*giggles* He's adorable.....in a creepy, totally weird way. And then he has a dirty mind, which completely throws you off the adorable factor. Yeah, he's creepy. But reaallyy entertaining. This (points down) is like, practically my favourite part of the book.

"Well, at least it's not like you have a pet snake, because that shit would be weird. And I guess there are people who have more annoying roommates. I'll be honest, though. I don't trust the little shit, but I respect your decision."
"Well, I don't trust you either, so what-the-fuck-ever," Tink replied with a saucy grin as he stepped out from behind my leg.
Grabbing a scarf off the chair, I threw it at him.
He caught it, clutching it to his chest as he flew into the air. "You gave Tink a scarf. Tink is free!" He flew out into the hallway like a little cracked-out fairy, screeching, "Tink is freeeeee!"
Ren looked at me. "What in the actual fuck?"
I sighed. "He's obsessed with Harry Potter. I'm sorry."
Tink darted back into the room, holding the scarf to his bare chest. "There is no reason to apologize when it comes to Harry Potter."
"You do remember what happened to Dobby, right?" I said.
"Shit." Tink's eyes widened and then he dropped the scarf. "Fuck that shit. I'm hungry. Someone—no name mentioned—ruined my breakfast. So I'll be in the kitchen." He stopped and looked pointedly at Ren. "I got my eyes on you, buddy."
Ren lifted a brow.

The book felt a bit short. But that might (definitely) have to do with the, idk, 8 whole chapters I read on Wattpad before the release. So that's my own fault, really. And besides, I was able to bum-rush through all the remaining chapters, finish the book at 3am, and promptly conk out. So I'm actually pretty proud of myself, since it usually takes at least 2 days to finish a book. I know, I usually suck at readathons because of my turtoise pace.

Now, focusing on the two major plot 'shocks', I have to say they weren't very hard to predict. For me, at least. But then again, I'm pretty good at predicting plot twists, so perhaps the plot twists will be a huuge shock to everyone and I'll be sitting over here shaking my head and sighing sadly. Yup, I'm a lonely soul.
(view spoiler)
And what is the significance of this healing crystal? Because I'm very certain we'll hear more of it in the future.

All in all, Wicked was a swoony, heartfelt, perhaps a bit light, story of a two young adults (in the very early 20s, not YA young adults) with tortured pasts who find each other amid a creeptastic fantasy New Orleans where Fae prowl the streets and come with evil plots to unleash the mighty Otherworld down upon us humans, and a special Order of humans who fight to stop them. (Oh wow, special Order......sounds very Law and Order-ish. You know, the TV show. With the signature music and constant mention the the 'criminal justice system'? Yeaah, that one.)

4 stars <3
—MissBloodsucker™ All Sucked Out!

View this review on Goodreads


0 comments:

Post a Comment