Sunday, October 5, 2014

Couch Potato Time #5 – The Maze Runner


I went to the cinema last saturday and saw TMR....after loads of begging my parents....what can I say....I'm shameless when I really want something.
And wow! It was phenomenal! The graphics, the presentation, the mood of the movie was better than I could've hoped for!

In some ways, I thought that the movie was even better than the book! It built on the book. Improved it even.
Not that the book wasn't amazing...it was...for me, anyway; even tho a lot of stuff was still unresolved and unanswered, the Maze Runner novel was a great start to the trilogy. The only problem I had with the book was that it lacked balance.
It was so centred on the mystery and the maze that I felt that the emotions and budding relationships between the characters were overlooked and pushed into a corner.
In the movie adaption, however, the different elements of the story were really brought together perfectly, and I was really happy that the guys were portrayed in a way that freely showed their emotions, and weren't all stoic and bleehh :)

I read the TMR book over 6 months ago, and I have pretty terrible memory most of the time (whoops hehe), so I can't really point out all the book-to-movie differences, but the most noticeable difference was the lack of supernatural/sci-fi element with the telepathy between Thomas and Teresa. And I actually liked that they cut out that element because it really brought the story to it's raw base and made it more relatable to us as a real story that could happen to us in the future or something. And yes, I think this was a strategy because the general movie-watching public (including myself in this case) tend to like being able to easily relate the the story, hence the success of The Hunger Games, and our apparent love of Dystopian.
But I've also recently heard that the telepathy is quite instrumental in future books, which leaves me wondering how they intend to continue the series as movies.
Pleeeease don't become a repeat of the Eragon fiasco *crosses fingers*

And squeee! The actors were amazeballs! I've seen the actors of Gally and Newt before (XD not literally *pouts*), and I know they're great at what they do, but all the others were new for me, and they sure did impress ;) I can't wait to see more of these up and coming actors (and actress....if people use that term anymore o.O *scratches head*), and I'm crossing my fingers for a sequel soon!
Gossipy Belle: Haven't you heard? The second movie is already in pre-production and casting on IMDb! Get with the times! *facepalm*

The movie interpreted the novel perfectly, and OMG did it start with a bang or what?! XD One second I was sitting in the cinema cradling my popcorn and waiting for the movie to start, and then the next the rattling and grating of the elevator just slammed into me like a double decker......so I guess the cinema speakers were in fully functional capacity ;) But seriously, that start was so epic I was on the edge of my seat from the beginning to end.
And don't get me started on the Grievers *shudders* They looked seriously creepy o.O Ewwwiee!

I especially liked that there was no romance....in the first part of the trilogy at least.
YA romance normally develops rather rapidly, so the lack of romance was pretty new, and honestly, I didn't realize how tired I was of the constant lovey-doveyness till there wasn't any XDD

I haven't actually read the 2nd and 3rd books, but now that I've watched the adaption, and the extent of it's success, I'll have to read the rest of the series before the movies beat me :P

—MissBloodsucker™ All Sucked Out!

0 comments:

Post a Comment