Saturday, August 30, 2014

Blood Red Road by Moira Young

Blood Red Road
by
Moira Young

Page Count: 459
Series. (#1)

My Rating: ★★★★
Average Rating on Goodreads: 4.00

Synopsis:
Saba lives in Silverlake, a wasteland ravaged by constant sandstorms where her family scavenge from landfills left by the long-gone Wrecker civilization. After four cloaked horsemen kidnap her beloved twin brother Lugh, she teams up with daredevil Jack and the Free Hawks, a girl gang of Revolutionaries. 

Saba learns that she is a fierce fighter, an unbeatable survivor, and a cunning opponent. And she has the power to take down a corrupt society from the inside. Saba and her new friends stage a showdown that change the course of her civilization.




Thank you Bee for recommending this to me! I was always doubtful about this one because most the people I know gave it negative reviews. That does kind of dampen the reading spirits when you have so many other books to read.

The reason everyone put this down after a few chapters or didn't like it, was because the writing.
Well this is a debut novel after all, so it was really a risk that Moira took to write like this.

The writing is similar to the style Patrick Ness used in Chaos Walking. Loads of people couldn't stand the deliberate spelling and grammar mistakes there either. BUT, If you're a person like me, who loved Chaos Walking and thought it was brilliant, go read Blood Red Road right now. Because this was also awesommee :D

So.

I loved how
-There was a tough heroine.
-It wasn't focused on romance.
-Action.
-It was a bit flawed.
-Character development.
-She had a companion crow. How cool is that?! GO NERO.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Saba is really tough. Like seriousllyyy. She cage fights, and wins Every. Single. Match. thrown to her. Of course, that's because she needs to survive, since you'll die and all, but come on! That is amazing!! Reminds me a biiit of Celaena Sardothian :P Plus who can't resist a teen girl riding through a deadly desert to save her brother?
She was determined (a bit too much?) and looked straight at the destination, demolishing all road blocks along the way. Okay, maybe sometimes, she frustrated me a bit, but considering the circumstances, it was understandable. And it wasn't like I wanted to throw the book out the window at any point anyways ^.^
The character development here was beautiful to read! Little Saba, who always followed her "golden" brother Lugh, always his shadow, always the night.......: Becomes the day with this great journey. She learns independence, and how to think for herself. Her relationship with Emmi progressing with the story I think was also one of my favourite momentss.

Yep.

Now meet Jack the love interest!
Everyone: Hi Jack *waves*
Jackk... was an interesting character. *cough* Instalove *cough* XD Normally, the girl likes the guy. In this case,
Jack: I'VE ALWAYS LIKED YOU
Saba: GO AWAY JACK
*carry on for half the book*

I liked it though.

The heartstone, I must admit, is silly.      
Don't you think? A small stone which heats up whenever you're near your heart's desire. Can you guess who Saba's heart's desire was?
Crowd: Jack?
Ding ding diiinngg ;D

All the secondary characters actually were pretty great.
There's Emmi, the youngest and unloved (by Saba) sister, due to the fact that Saba's mother died giving birth to her. She was so cute. <3 AND had good judgement. *whispers to Saba* I told youu soooo!
The Freedom Hawks ermahgosh XD I wanna join! It reminded me of Artemis's group in Percy Jackson... what's it called... that group of "maidens"? I forgot o.O But I seriously want to join this group! Awesomeness.
NERO. A human like crow. Most useful character in the whole book. *snatches Nero* You're mine!! Mwahahah!

I think overall, the only thing I didn't like was that in some parts, mostly the end, the plot got confuusingg. I didn't really know what was happening. And then the ending was a little fast? Yeh..

Bottom Line:
A quirky memorable read, that has a tough heroine, cool love interest, brilliantly formed secondary characters, loads of character development, and bit of a confusing plot. The writing style won't be everyone's cuppa tea, but you (maybe) can easily get used to it. Just DON'T STOP AFTER 20 PAGES.

—MissOddball™ Over and Out. *salutes*

0 comments:

Post a Comment